Fri. Jan 22nd, 2021

Firefighters responded to a large residential fire late on Thursday night in Burren. Firefighters were able to contain the fire, but the home is a total loss.

The fire began when 29-year-old Lisa Fatspatrick noticed a common house spider crawling across her living room.

Lisa told Newry Spud:

“It completely freaked me out. I started throwing things at it, but it just kept coming toward me. I decided to spray it with some hair spray I had bought in Poundland. It seemed to just make it madder and I thought it was going to attack me. Instinctively I threw everything in reach which must have included a Yankee candle I had burning on the table.”

Fire officials believe that the open flame from the candle likely came in contact with the hairspray that Lisa had used. The flames quickly spread to a rug and then to her couch. She was able to escape the house unharmed.

Fire fighter Peadar Blaze told us:

“When we reached the house the structure was well ablaze. She came running out of the house in a panic. She kept screaming about a spider inside, she seemed to care less that the house was on fire. The funny thing is that I am 90% sure I saw a spider crawling out of the house right behind her.”

Fatspatrick tells us this is her second spider related accident this year. Earlier this year she drove a vehicle into the Newry Canal after finding a spider in her car.

Please follow and like us: